Learning Journey Learning Journey Learning Journey Learning Journey Learning Journey

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Cake Nerd!!!

My daughter and I went to a great cake show in Arlington, TX, last weekend.  It was hosted by www.sweetsensationscakeclub.com.  This show was actually a Day of Sharing, meaning that a few very special cake gurus generously shared demonstrations of their masterful techniques.  Three amazingly talented decorators were there:  Megan Rountree, Nikki Jackson and the Bronwen Weber.

My cake hero is Bronwen Weber.  She has competed over 20 times on Food Network's Challenge.  She has won more than any other contestant ever!!!  She is an amazing talent, but what was even more fun to learn was that she has a keen sense of humor AND the ability to make it look so easy while she's decorating.  Her message was "Don't be afraid of the cake" and believe it or not, I needed to hear that.  Cake is scary sometimes!  Also, I learned that I am a 'Cake Nerd'...didn't know that there was such a thing, but I'll claim it;)  She made a Skull Cake for Halloween.  I took dozens of pictures and there really was no way to capture the skill with which she carved and sculpted the cake---WOW!!!  Bronwen's Best Hint: Use chopsticks for detail work.





Megan, a recent finalist in TLC's Last Cake Standing, demonstrated a Turkey Cake.  It was beautiful!!!  Look at the pictures.  She is darling and very talented.  Best Hint from Megan:  CK Confectioners Glaze to give fondant details a shiny appearance.




Nikki, recently competed on Food Network's Best Cake Artist in America.  She hinted that the editing of that show was to blame for her not-so-stellar portrayal.  Still not convinced about that;) I will say that she and her helper husband were very charming.  She showcased a Shopping Bag Cake for Christmas.  Best Hint from Nikki:  Try substituting 7-Up for the water when you make a chocolate cake from a mix.  Can't wait to try it!




Back to reality.  My daughter has a birthday this week.  I hope I'm up to the challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment